[arin-ppml] Prop-151: Limiting needs requirements for IPv4 transfers

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 22:00:50 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 6:45 PM, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 8:26 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:

>> when I look at the
>> differences in policies, they don't seem rise to the level of what I would
>> call an unfair difference.
>
> I believe that APNIC runs their region how they see fit and we run
> ours how we see fit.  They seem to be more fine with that than we are
> for some reason, but that's fine too.

Agreed (with both).

> The fact that they had disposed of need at one point probably lends
> itself to Williams point.

It's not hard for an ISP or mobile operator to justify need for more
public IPs when it has ten times as many customers as IPs.  The fact
that APNIC was the first to run out of space isn't evidence of lax
policy, but of demographic realities.

IMO if an organization has a need for IPs and a plan to use them
within the next 24 months, and is willing to pay for them on the
transfer market, ARIN should not stand in their way.  I personally
believe ARIN policy will be in about the right spot once 2011-11 and
2011-12 are implemented, but if anyone sees examples of companies with
a reasonable need for space who are unable to justify it under ARIN
policy, I'd like to see details so we can adjust policy accordingly.
But I don't see that as a reason we should restrict inter-regional
transfers.

-Scott