[arin-ppml] 2011-7 Status

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Feb 28 08:46:05 EST 2012

On 2/28/12 03:08 CST, Owen DeLong wrote:
> The feedback from the community so far on this proposal has actually been in favor of the AC continuing to work on it.
>
> A small minority of the AC cannot keep a proposal alive. It only takes 8 AC members at any point to pass a motion to abandon a draft policy. (A simple majority of quorum will do for anything that is not yet a draft policy.)
>
> As such, I have trouble reconciling the actual reality with statements by my colleague earlier on this list.
>
> 2011-7 as revised based on community feedback is slated for discussion in Vancouver. I encourage people who have an interest in this policy, whether in favor or in opposition to make their opinions known on this list. There is still time to incorporate community feedback into revisions to the draft policy before taking it to Vancouver.
>
> Owen

Personally, I continue to be skeptical of the idea of using DNS as a
lever for compliance regarding documentation of reassignments.  However,
I agree with Owen that the sense of the room at the Philly meeting was
to continue working on this proposal, and I think important changes
identified by the community have been made.  I therefore support this
proposal returning to the Vancouver meeting for additional discussion,
despite my personal skepticism of the proposal.

While I remain open to persuasion regarding this proposal, and would
like to see more discussion of it by the community;  At the moment, I
doubt I will be able to recommend the adoption of this proposal.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952