[arin-ppml] Proposal 2011-7 Fail Was:Re: ARIN-prop-165 Eliminate Needs-Based Justification

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 20:04:19 EST 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com> wrote:

[ clip ]

> ARIN's membership has asked it to perform.  I have seen and supported
> numerous proposals for ARIN to review and audit existing allocations for
> compliance, and these proposals have always failed.  Thus ARIN has been
> explicitly told by its members that it is not a policing body.  Therefore it
> can only apply these policies when handing out *new* allocations. (be they
> transferred blocks or not)

It's interesting that you acknowledge that the membership has told
ARIN to stop futzing around with Section 12. I, and many others in the
past version of this "proposal" agree. And we are still doing it.

This proposal is on-going for almost a year
https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2011_7.html and a small AC
minority appear to disagree and battle on regardless of what the
community wants. In this case, we're being protected from ourselves.

>From the rationale of the proposal:

"To date the community has not documented or firmly established use of
an effective enforcement mechanism."

Best,

-M<