[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-165 Eliminate Needs-Based Justificationon 8.3 Specified Transfers

Astrodog astrodog at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 13:50:07 EST 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2012, at 1:16 PM, Astrodog wrote:
>
>> Given the concerns of the community and after watching this discussion
>> play out, I think it may be more useful for those of us who support
>> the removal of needs-based assessments to provide a more comprehensive
>> document explaining why we believe that it serves those goals better
>> than the existing system.
>>
>> Something I've been curious about, as this conversation has gone on,
>> are there cases you are aware of at ARIN where, in retrospect, you
>> believe a needs based asseessment provided an allocation in error?
>> (the requesting organization didn't use the resources, etc.) For
>> obvious reasons, I don't expect to hear about specific cases, but I am
>> curious as to how often this comes up.
>
> Very rarely.  Per the number resource policy manual section 12,
> <https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#twelve> ARIN may initiate
> review of resource registration if we believe they were completed
> in error. I do not have statistics offhand, but we only have a
> handful of reviews underway at any given moment.
>
> For example, if a party indicated that they were going to use the
> number resources to be received in order to expand their hosting
> business, and then promptly upon receipt instead sought to transfer
> them, we would have the ability to initiate a review to see if they
> originally received them by fraudulent representations, and could
> take corrective action. The various registration service agreements
> provide for binding arbitration should there be a disputed matter.

Got it. Thanks again for the information, it has been very useful.

I'll probably kick off a new thread with a set of ideas I've had out
of this one. As things stand today, I don't believe there is anything
even approaching significant support, let alone community consensus
for prop-165, and a more measured, incremental approach is probably
the best way to move forward.

--- Harrison