[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-165 Eliminate Needs-Based Justificationon 8.3 Specified Transfers

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat Feb 18 13:41:13 EST 2012

On Feb 18, 2012, at 1:16 PM, Astrodog wrote:

> Given the concerns of the community and after watching this discussion
> play out, I think it may be more useful for those of us who support
> the removal of needs-based assessments to provide a more comprehensive
> document explaining why we believe that it serves those goals better
> than the existing system.
>
> Something I've been curious about, as this conversation has gone on,
> are there cases you are aware of at ARIN where, in retrospect, you
> believe a needs based asseessment provided an allocation in error?
> (the requesting organization didn't use the resources, etc.) For
> obvious reasons, I don't expect to hear about specific cases, but I am
> curious as to how often this comes up.

Very rarely.  Per the number resource policy manual section 12,
<https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#twelve> ARIN may initiate
review of resource registration if we believe they were completed
in error. I do not have statistics offhand, but we only have a
handful of reviews underway at any given moment.

For example, if a party indicated that they were going to use the
number resources to be received in order to expand their hosting
business, and then promptly upon receipt instead sought to transfer
them, we would have the ability to initiate a review to see if they
originally received them by fraudulent representations, and could
take corrective action. The various registration service agreements
provide for binding arbitration should there be a disputed matter.

I hope this addresses your question.
/John

John Curran
President and CEO