[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-165 Eliminate Needs-Based Justification

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Feb 17 12:41:03 EST 2012

Actually, Paul, a rigid insistence on needs assessments simply gives buyers the strongest possible incentive to deal only with legacy holders and to conduct the transfers outside of the ARIN 8.3 process.

In an environment in which the free pool is fully occupied and all address allocations occur through transfers from one party to another, the economic and institutional justification for needs assessments disappear. More precisely (and there is actually some economic science to be considered here, although  I am sure that it will not affect you) the basis for "need" shifts from technical to economic. Given inherent uncertainty regarding a) the future value of the addresses, b) the speed with we will make the migration to IPv6 if at all, c) the arbitrary time horizon that is imposed on applicants by the needs assessment process (3 months? 6 months? 3 years?), a buyer could easily fail to qualify for "need" under traditional criteria but the socially efficient thing to do would be to let them buy them.
The idea that ARIN needs to decide who is a valid recipient of IPv4 blocks is just a bump in the road that does no one any good.

I guess you want to learn this the hard way.