[arin-ppml] Nanog IPV4 Panel Discussion and 8.3 transfers

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Feb 10 09:17:16 EST 2012

On Feb 10, 2012, at 3:11 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

> On 2/10/2012 4:03 PM, John Curran wrote:
>> On Feb 10, 2012, at 2:32 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
>>
>>> If we define "transfer" as "the entity with the legal right to use or control the use of the numbers changes", not so much.
>> Incorrect.  Party A retains that right until the resources
>> are transferred to another party per policy.
>>

> We'll probably need to disagree on this. I would claim that if a contract exists in which Party A gave up those rights to another party, then it is all over save the database update.

Yes, I expect we'd then disagree. So far, no court has ordered
a database change contrary to the community developed policy
(although we've had cases which were corrected when we pointed
out the oversight.)

> This is no different than an M&A transfer.

True; we do transfer resources in accordance with 8.2 in a similar
manner, ie when such requests are submitted in compliance with policy.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO