[arin-ppml] Nanog IPV4 Panel Discussion and 8.3 transfers

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Fri Feb 10 09:11:31 EST 2012

On 2/10/2012 4:03 PM, John Curran wrote:
> On Feb 10, 2012, at 2:32 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
>
>> If we define "transfer" as "the entity with the legal right to use or control the use of the numbers changes", not so much.
> Incorrect.  Party A retains that right until the resources
> are transferred to another party per policy.

We'll probably need to disagree on this. I would claim that if a
contract exists in which Party A gave up those rights to another party,
then it is all over save the database update.

This is no different than an M&A transfer.

Certainly once I own all the shares of a company I've acquired, I can
direct them to do anything I want with the address space assigned to
them, whether or not we've gotten around to changing the name on the
whois record.

If instead I purchase all the assets of a company that has address
space, in practice I can run the new company that owns those assets in
any way I see fit, including hiring all their employees, transferring
their contracts, and continuing to route their IP address space to their
equipment, again whether or not we've gotten around to changing the name
on the whois record. In fact, this happens all the time, as these kinds
of asset sale contracts are signed and closed *before* the ARIN
paperwork is submitted, even if the transfer is assured to happen.

Matthew Kaufman