[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-163 Dedicated resources for initial ISP allocations

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Thu Feb 9 03:39:01 EST 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 2:14 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> If the community does not specifically reserve address space
> for such entrants, it is not inherently "anti-competitive" but
> may raise some concerns that the established businesses in this
> space failed to fairly consider the requirements of the entire
> Internet community as compared to their own interests.

I am not opposed to the creation of a reserved pool for new businesses
to receive initial allocations, but if this is done, I believe they
should be non-transferable.

As you might imagine, a person clever enough to slip through the
cracks and grab himself an initial allocation, in a post-exhaustion
world, would have a potentially valuable resource that existing
businesses may wish to acquire -- not for the value of the business or
underlying customers, but simply for IP addresses that they cannot get
otherwise, or as inexpensively.

Since APNIC already has a reserved pool for new market entrants, they
will no doubt have some insight into if this is actually a problem or
not.
--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts