[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-163 Dedicated resources for initial ISP allocations

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Feb 9 02:14:26 EST 2012

On Feb 9, 2012, at 7:47 AM, Martin Hannigan wrote:

> With regards to this proposal, it's not like there's an
> anti-competitive practice taking place. The reason why new entrants
> won't be able to get address space is because of a design fault that
> is the root cause of run-out. We would've, and we will, run out no
> matter what is put aside or reserved for anyone.

It has been noted that even in the presence of a smoothly
functioning market, new entrants will face a fairly high
barrier to entry as IPv6 alone will likely not suffice and
that a small amount of routable IPv4 space may be required
to maintain compatibility with the existing Internet.

If the community does not specifically reserve address space
for such entrants, it is not inherently "anti-competitive" but
may raise some concerns that the established businesses in this
space failed to fairly consider the requirements of the entire
Internet community as compared to their own interests.

We will obviously get some legal review here regarding the
level of obligation that the community has to consider these
requirements, and will provide it to the list as soon as it
is available.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran