[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-180 ISP Private Reassignment

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 22:20:27 EDT 2012

On 8/9/12, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
[snip]
> some legitimate contact address for the customer in question. Ideally
> the one where they would prefer to receive service of legal process.

I think many organizations would prefer to not receive service of
legal process at any address.

The org address listed in WHOIS should be a mailing address that is an
authoritative contact for both the organization and the network.
Example uses of a mailing address could include:

(*) Verification of of identity on the part of upstreams and
prospective peers,  by proof of ability to receive mail, or comparison
to other records.

(*) Contact by letter sent via postal mail or private courier as a
last resort, for reporting technical or abuse issues, that for some
reason the e-mail based or telephone contact was not responsive for,
for example, the telephone may be malfunctioning, or disconnected,
and someone forgot to update WHOIS.

(*) Reporting of network abuse issues,  by going there in person to
report face-to-face or via courier/postal mail, where the technical
contact was believed to be complicit in the abuse for some reason.

(*)  Reporting of possible hacker compromises impacting the mail
server that  the technical contact's mail is hosting on,  or  when
e-mail is otherwise returned as undeliverable  or not acknowledged.

--
-JH