[arin-ppml] IP Address Policy

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Aug 8 23:51:19 EDT 2012

On Aug 8, 2012, at 11:40 PM, Steven Ryerse <SRyerse at eclipse-networks.com<mailto:SRyerse at eclipse-networks.com>>
 wrote:

Well John I didn’t see you be fully transparent with the Microsoft/Nortel agreement which I believe you haven’t shared with this community yet, so it seems that you can choose not to share if you don’t want to for any reason – and that of course is your right.

Steve - As noted several times before, Microsoft qualified to receive address
space under the transfer policy, and they further agreed the the space received
would be subject to ARIN's policies.

Just saying that you are either obligated 100% or you are not.  If not then you can fix this if you want to without community involvement - just saying.

The Policy Development Process provides a specific process for changing policy,
and none provides for the staff creating policy on its own or disregarding adopted
policy.

I’m not against community involvement which is why I brought this issue to the community in the first place.  As you have seen I have twice today asked for community members to give their comments and have had several off list emails sent to me as well.  Hopefully a lot more comments will be submitted as well.

Agreed.

This policy does not align with your mission and as such needs to be modified or removed and IPv4 addresses need to be reasonably allocated.  I appreciate you bringing this up with the board as they should address this issue.  ARIN should not be in the business of unreasonably denying IP allocation requests and that is what has happened here.  I hope you see fit to resolve this problem for us and others.

I will note your concern with the existing policy to the Board, but note that the Board
is quite likely to seek the ARIN Advisory Council's view on what change to policy (if
any) is appropriate.

The best way to make sure that reasonable requests are approved is to work on policy
that meets your definition of reasonable.  Others may have differing views, and it is the
policy discussion on this list and during the public policy meetings that will drive the
final result.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran