[arin-ppml] IP Address Policy

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Aug 8 20:30:44 EDT 2012

On Aug 8, 2012, at 7:04 PM, Steven Ryerse <SRyerse at eclipse-networks.com<mailto:SRyerse at eclipse-networks.com>> wrote:

... I am going thru proper ARIN channels to obtain needed resources and ARIN is refusing to allocate those resources to me.

Steve -

You have applied through proper channels but your request is not valid as
it does not meet allocation policy criteria.  ARIN cannot allocate IPv4
resources to your organization as a result of that invalid request.

As others have noted, under the ISP multi-homed initial allocation policies
(NRPM 4.2.2.2), there is a requirement to utilized the equivalent of a /23
(generally from your upstream ISP) before receiving for initial allocation
from ARIN. This is not a policy requirement which is unique to your business
but long-standing requirement in policy that all service providers have had
to satisfy when making that transition.

Jimmy Hess did make an excellent point with regard to transfers - under the
8.3 specified transfer policy, your full IP address needs for 24 months can
be considered in approving a transfer, and as such that may be more helpful
with your present situation.  As ARIN is obligated to follow the existing
policy as adopted, a transfer may be a more timely option that developing
a policy change to these requirements for initial ISP allocations.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO