[arin-ppml] private whois record

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 18:38:19 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 5:51 PM,  <patrick at klos.com> wrote:

>>> Please provide an example of how a legitimate business's WHOIS data may
>>> be considered "sensitive"?
>>
>>[kjk] Even in the case of the womens abuse shelter who's contact information
>>*may* need to be protected, I don't believe the entity that manages their
>>network need necessarily be afforded the same protection.  Those shelters
>>also typically maintain P.O. boxes and/or off premises offices to protect
>>their physical address.
>>{gross snippage}
>
> Why would the physical address of the administrators of a women's shelter
> possibly need to be protected?  Where would the women go that need help?

How is a business network different than a residential network? The
differentiation was intended for ISP's. Not for non network oriented
businesses. At least initially.

> Similarly, you can't hide the phone number of a women's shelter or the
> women would have no place to call.  You cannot provide public services
> without providing public information.
>
> Regardless, the entity that manages their network needs to be able to be
> contacted.

Using "rights" of the commons vs. privacy is a pretty weak argument
overall. Having accurate ASN data would be a far more reliable method,
more manageable as well, to achieve many of the stated goals of whois
policy.

Best,

-M<