[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-167 Removal of Renumbering Requirement for Small Multihomers

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Apr 30 22:38:03 EDT 2012

On 4/30/12, Kevin Blumberg <kevinb at thewire.ca> wrote:
> At the last ARIN meeting in Vancouver and prior to that in Philadelphia
> staff pointed out that almost no one was coming
> back to ARIN for additional small end user assignment. I believe the number
> quoted was 1 in Philadelphia and 5 in Vancouver
> of which many hundreds of people had taken advantage of getting /23 and /24
> initial allocations.

Hi Kevin,

How does that compare with end users receiving /22's who subsequently
return for more addresses? My understanding from prior ARIN reports
was that end users requesting the smallest permitted assignments
rarely returned for more even before this policy was enacted.

Incidentally, one of the orgs I support holds a /23 under the policy.
If it needs to graduate to a /22 while the policy is on the books,
it'll have to renumber. Which means I personally will have to deal
with the pain.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004