[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-167 Removal of Renumbering Requirement for Small Multihomers

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 21:58:25 EDT 2012

On 4/30/12, Kevin Blumberg <kevinb at thewire.ca> wrote:
> At the last ARIN meeting in Vancouver and prior to that in Philadelphia
> staff pointed out that almost no one was coming
> back to ARIN for additional small end user assignment. I believe the number
> quoted was 1 in Philadelphia and 5 in Vancouver
> of which many hundreds of people had taken advantage of getting /23 and /24
> initial allocations.
>
> While I understand the concern with the routing table, this policy has erred
> too far to one side.
[snip]

The policy was implemented September 2010.    That is approximately
1.5 years ago.
The fact hundreds of applicants occured showed success of the policy,
not a failure or err'ing of the policy.

If the renumbering requirement were considered too burdensome, no
organizations would have applied for a /24  multi-homing assignment.

 Did  ARIN go back  to  the  organizations that received a  /24 under
2010-2  more than 12 months ago,  but did not make additional
allocation requests,   and survey them    to determine if they
obtained additional IP addresses from another source  following their
/24 allocation?

There is an alternative explanation:  perhaps they did not need more
IP addresses,
or   they didn't need them very much.

If they availed themselves of the new rule and carefully planned for
the implications, its quite possible they had plans  that would avoid
the need to renumber within the foreseeable future or make it worth it
by the time they needed to.

There really is  no indication the policy has err'd in this case --
it seems to have been successful,    there is limited routing table
impact.

It is not clear what kind of impact removing the renumbering
requirement would have on number of applications;   I would anticipate
the number of  /24  small ISP multihoming applications could increase
massively,    due to a large number of organizations seeing  removal
of the renumber requirement as a  reason  to go to ARIN for PI instead
of upstreams.

--
-JH