[arin-ppml] Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Mon Apr 30 12:01:48 EDT 2012

On 4/30/2012 10:02 AM, John Curran wrote:
> If a significant amount of your utilization is based on discrete customer
> assignments (and we have no record of your previous utilization rates, as
> is common for an organization coming directly to ARIN for the first time),
> you are likely to be asked followup questions to verify that some of the
> individual customer assignments were done for actual customers.
>
> Also, if you're not actually an ISP serving customers, but instead a nice
> facade which has been created and carefully developed over several months for
> the sole purpose of getting a PI-allocation IPv4 address block out of ARIN,

That's the part that confused me, John. In my customer's case, they were
renumbering from PA (mine) to PI. While their initial request was the
usual outrageous size, they were perfectly happy with the ARIN return of
"this is what you qualify for". They had years (roughly 8-10?) of SWIP
assignments and growth to reach the /21+ they qualified for. They are
shifting models, multi-homing, and wanted their own PI space. In
response, ARIN pushed a much stiffer verification than would be done
with PA space, and I'm not even sure why; given it's slow growth over
the years. Roughly 200 assignments (2/3 of which was infrastructure
addressing) doesn't seem significant out of a /21 for a small telco ISP.
If they had objected, they would have been stuck with my PA space, which
ARIN wouldn't have required me to obtain customer information from them
on; just the usual counts.

Jack