[arin-ppml] Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Apr 26 23:57:00 EDT 2012

On Apr 26, 2012, at 8:30 PM, Tim Gimmel wrote:

>  Now that we are in runout and can only receive 3 month supply of IP addresses, ISPs must now watch their IP usage at the most granular level as possible.  So when it time to request more resources we want to be able to give the ARIN representatives exactly what they need to make an informed decision quickly.

Tim -

  Just for clarity, there is are forms in ARIN Online and there
  are instructions online regarding what information you need to
  supply - <https://www.arin.net/resources/resource_requests/>

  The question is the "verification" phase of the request, where
  it is true that ARIN often asks for additional information to
  confirm the accuracy of the request.  It turns out there there
  are folks who would like to receive IPv4 resources from the free
  pool despite having no need (or their actual unstated need is to
  quickly uniquely number several hundred virtual email servers on
  a provider-independent network block, send a lot of mail, and
  disappear...)

  ARIN presently does not provide a guidebook how what information
  we're going to ask for in validation, because it would inevitably
  be an equally valid roadmap for how to prepare forged materials
  for verification. We are quite aware that organizations need their
  additional resources promptly, and move very quickly as long as
  an organization is responsive to information requests.

  Now, if you wish to make it even more efficient, we can do away
  with verification (or make it completely programmatic) but that
  will have significant consequences in the ability to determine
  the accuracy of any requests.  It may that working with smaller
  90 day allocations make that a valid tradeoff, but we're going
  to need ample community discussion if to move in that direction.

Thanks for your thoughts on this!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO