[arin-ppml] Revealing /32 customers?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Apr 26 16:56:41 EDT 2012

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012, William Herrin wrote:

> My understanding was that our consensus policy is that an ISP is
> expected to reveal customer information about assignments of /29 and
> larger. So, this brings to mind two questions:
>
> 1. Do current ARIN staff procedures have situations which place a
> mandatory requirement for an ISP to reveal (under NDA or otherwise)
> customers to whom less than a /29 of address spaces has been assigned?
> By "mandatory" I mean that ARIN staff will not accept an alternate
> form of demonstration that the /32 assignments are in use. The
> customer identities are required.
>
> 2. If ARIN staff procedures are in fact as described in #1, from which
> NRPM policies do those particular procedures derive?

This is really a no-brainer.  The requirement to SWIP or rwhois
assignments down to /29 is a separate issue from the requirement to
demonstrate efficient use of IP space.  Also note the "including but not
limited to" phrase below, which implies ARIN could ask you to document the
usage of every single /32 if they felt it necessary.

4.2.3.7. Registration
ISPs are required to demonstrate efficient use of IP address space
allocations by providing appropriate documentation, including but not
limited to assignment histories, showing their efficient use.

4.2.3.7.1. Reassignment Information
Each IPv4 assignment containing a /29 or more addresses shall be
registered in the WHOIS directory via SWIP or a distributed service which
meets the standards set forth in section 3.2.

If you could "hide" behind "these blocks are all /30 customer
assignments, that's all you need to know", then a member could just lie to
ARIN and say all (or >80% of) their space is in use, and request more  Of
course, you could also just make up a bunch of customers too...but that
requires a bit more creativity than "you don't need to see the customer
info for these /30s."