[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - revised

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Fri Sep 23 11:47:58 EDT 2011

> To conclude the ARIN region has as much or more address space than the
> rest of the world combined.  Part of that is natural, the Internet
> started in what is now the ARIN region, but it seems wrong to say what
> is in our region stays in our region when our region has been given so
> much.  If you also include that most of the growth of the Internet is
> and will continue to be outside our region then it is doubly wrong, and
> just adds insult to injury.
>
> See: http://www.nro.net/wp-content/uploads/nro_stats_2011_q2.pdf
> and;
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/ipv4-address-space.xml
>
> --
> David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
> Networking & Telecommunication Services
> Office of Information Technology
> University of Minnesota
> 2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
> Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952

David,

I will agree with you to a point and enthusiastically support your altruism.  To that end ARIN should identify how much surplus space it has and return that surplus block to IANA for redistribution to the poorer players.  This would be the simplest solution to the conundrum.

If, however, one maintains that the best route is to hold the space for maximum profit in directed transfers then I will posit that the motivation is not altruism but greed.

Kevin