[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - revised

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Sep 23 11:18:37 EDT 2011

On 9/22/11 14:47 CDT, Kevin Kargel wrote:
>> Why is that?  Do you feel that justified needs in the ARIN region are
>> more important than justified needs in any other region?
>
> I will jump on this soapbox..  yes, I think one should take care of ones own first.  It is similar to my feelings on charities, I take care of my immediate families needs first, then I look to extended family (brothers, cousins, inlaws), then I look to charities in my local community, then I look to charities in my state, then I look to charities I am involved in. If After all that I find I have money left over I don't know what to do with I will consider donating to far off charites.
>
> ARIN should do the same, ARIN should keep IP addresses until such a time that ARIN has *NO* need for the IP addresses, at which time it would be very reasonable to look around for someone else that could use them.
> To my mind this would mean that ARIN should not transfer address space out of region until they can forecast no requests or need for the foreseeable future.
>
> If you don't agree with this I will gladly accept your kids lunch money and college funds, or is your need more important than mine?

So, you are saying "charity begins a home."  Great, but there is another
saying that needs to be considered too, "to whom much is given, much is
expected."

If you look at the distribution of IPv4 since the creation of the RIR's
it is more or less reasonable and fair.

APNIC - 45 /8s
ARIN   -  36 /8s
AfriNIC - 5 /8s
LACNIC - 9 /8s
RIPE   - 35 /8s

However, there are 91 /8s that are part of the central registry
(Legacy), of those the equivalent of about 7.5 /8s of bit and pieces
were given out to the RIR for distribution.  The vast majority of the
rest are allocated to organizations within the ARIN region.

32 of the 91 are original Class A networks (whole /8s) given to
individual organizations within the ARIN region, there were more but in
the past few years a number of organizations returned legacy Class As
(Thank You by the way). There are 4 Class As that went to organizations
outside of the ARIN region, I think all in RIPE.  That leaves about 47.5
/8s that were used for Class Bs and Cs, again the vast majority were
allocated to organizations within the ARIN region.

I'd love to see an official breakdown of the central registry space by
region, but I'd be willing to bet that at least an equilivant of 75 of
the 91 /8s were allocated to organizations within the ARIN region.  So
by my count the ARIN regions has at least 111 of the 221 /8s that were
available.  Even if my numbers aren't completely right, it is clear that
the ARIN region has at least twice as much as APNIC or RIPE and as much
as 10 times LACNIC and 20 times AfriNIC.  It doesn't seem reasonable to
me that we now take an attitude that if it was allocated to our region,
it therefore must stay in our region.

To conclude the ARIN region has as much or more address space than the
rest of the world combined.  Part of that is natural, the Internet
started in what is now the ARIN region, but it seems wrong to say what
is in our region stays in our region when our region has been given so
much.  If you also include that most of the growth of the Internet is
and will continue to be outside our region then it is doubly wrong, and
just adds insult to injury.

See: http://www.nro.net/wp-content/uploads/nro_stats_2011_q2.pdf
and;
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/ipv4-address-space.xml

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952