[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - revised

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Sep 23 11:45:34 EDT 2011

On Sep 22, 2011, at 4:28 PM, Kevin Kargel wrote:

> I hear what you are saying Owen, but I still feel that if we have excess space the more reasonable and efficient option would be to return the space to IANA or whatever "up the food chain" entity is appropriate.

Kevin -

  To be clear, the proposed policy would allow a party in one region
  to free up address space and make available to a qualified party
  in another region.  It is quite possible that significant work is
  involved in freeing up such address space, and that won't happen
  unless there is a recipient willing to compensate the seller.

  While I have no view on the policy proposal either way, I am having
  trouble understanding your view that proposal involves handling of
  "excess space"... The space being made available to the recipient
  under this policy is not held by ARIN, but is address space that
  already assigned to parties in this region which may be freed up
  and better utilized by other party which has appropriate need.

  Does that match your understanding?

> IANAL (npi) and I have not gone through the agreements with IANA, are there provisions dictating ARIN's behavior in the event that we find ourselves with a surplus of space?

  Address space which is returned to an RIR is presently the subject
  of global policy proposals, but there is no policies governing the
  allocation of space that is issued to an RIR but that has not yet
  been allocated to members.

FYI,
/John

John Curran