[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - revised

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Sep 22 16:08:46 EDT 2011

On Sep 22, 2011, at 12:47 PM, Kevin Kargel wrote:

>> Why is that?  Do you feel that justified needs in the ARIN region are
>> more important than justified needs in any other region?
>
> I will jump on this soapbox..  yes, I think one should take care of ones own first.  It is similar to my feelings on charities, I take care of my immediate families needs first, then I look to extended family (brothers, cousins, inlaws), then I look to charities in my local community, then I look to charities in my state, then I look to charities I am involved in. If After all that I find I have money left over I don't know what to do with I will consider donating to far off charites.
>
> ARIN should do the same, ARIN should keep IP addresses until such a time that ARIN has *NO* need for the IP addresses, at which time it would be very reasonable to look around for someone else that could use them.
> To my mind this would mean that ARIN should not transfer address space out of region until they can forecast no requests or need for the foreseeable future.
>
> If you don't agree with this I will gladly accept your kids lunch money and college funds, or is your need more important than mine?

If we were talking about addresses issued by ARIN, I would be inclined to agree with you.

However, since we are talking about market transfers where the two RIRs are merely
recording the transaction and assuring that the recipient meets policy (has need), I do
not see any overall benefit to limiting such transactions to occurring within region.

I do see a number of problems with doing so. First, having the RIRs run out at radically
different times will create some rather unfortunate dynamics and prolong the pain of
IPv6 transition in the ARIN region. Second, since such prohibition is basically arrogant
and greedy, it will make us look arrogant and greedy.

APNIC recently restored needs basis to their transfer policy. This means that the ball
is in our court now and if we once again reject a policy agreed upon in every other
region, we will send a clear message that the ARIN community is not interested in
being a good neighbor to the rest of the world. That we are focused only on our own
selfish internal interests. This would be, quite frankly, the kind of failure that certain
opponents of the RIR system (and NGO-based internet governance in general) are
looking for.

I do not feel that 2011-1 is the ideal inter-RIR transfer policy, but, I think it is necessary
and it is good enough for now. We need to adopt this and move forward. ARIN is
sitting on more than twice as much free-space as any other RIR. Failing to allow
inter-regional transfers is failing to live up to our obligations as citizens of a global
community.

Owen