[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - revised

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Thu Sep 22 15:47:07 EDT 2011

> Why is that?  Do you feel that justified needs in the ARIN region are
> more important than justified needs in any other region?

I will jump on this soapbox..  yes, I think one should take care of ones own first.  It is similar to my feelings on charities, I take care of my immediate families needs first, then I look to extended family (brothers, cousins, inlaws), then I look to charities in my local community, then I look to charities in my state, then I look to charities I am involved in. If After all that I find I have money left over I don't know what to do with I will consider donating to far off charites.

ARIN should do the same, ARIN should keep IP addresses until such a time that ARIN has *NO* need for the IP addresses, at which time it would be very reasonable to look around for someone else that could use them.
To my mind this would mean that ARIN should not transfer address space out of region until they can forecast no requests or need for the foreseeable future.

If you don't agree with this I will gladly accept your kids lunch money and college funds, or is your need more important than mine?

> And are there any other incentives (aside from those already created
> by 8.3 transfers) that you think we should create?

I personally think both fee waivers and silly things like hats and t-shirts that are unobtainable by other needs would be effective.