[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - revised

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Thu Sep 22 16:04:11 EDT 2011

To explore another topic..  if we allow and effect inter-RIR transfers aren't we doing an end run around the distribution policies and authority of the entity that allocated the IP space to ARIN in the first place?

IMHO if ARIN can and is willing to transfer space anywhere it should go back from whence it came for redistribution.

The problem with this is that *you* will not be able to take profit from the sale.  So really, any push toward inter-RIR transfers is really placing the almighty shekel above the needs of the community.  At least be honest and admit that what you are trying to do is create a market you can make a lot of money from.

I would wonder what IANA would think about an RIR that admitted it had more space than it needed by offering to transfer space out of region.  When things get ugly and the vultures start circling could they possibly start recalling allocated space for redistribution from entities that have an excess?

Kevin