[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - revised

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Thu Sep 22 15:51:15 EDT 2011

> If we were talking about taking your IPv4 resources away and
> transferring them to another region, I agree that would be a good
> analogy.  But we're actually talking about giving you the ability to
> sell your IPv4 resources to someone who has more of a need for them
> than you do.

We are also talking about the decision of whether you provide resources to a neighbor who has a need for them or whether you give the resources to the government to distribute where and how they see fit.  We should keep the resources within the region until we have *NO* need for them within the region.

> So that would be like allowing you to sell some of your food to people
> outside the country who don't have enough food and want to buy it.
> Anyone choosing to take advantage of that ability is not going to be
> someone who's starving, but they might be someone who's willing to
> give up meat if someone outside the country wants to buy the grain and
> eat it directly instead of feeding it to animals.

Same thing, do you provide the food to your friends and neighbors or sell it off to strangers in far away lands?