[arin-ppml] CGN multiplier was: RE: Input on an article by Geoff Huston (potentially/myopically off-topic addendum)

Lee Dilkie Lee at dilkie.com
Thu Sep 15 18:43:51 EDT 2011

On 9/15/2011 5:36 PM, Chris Engel wrote:
> That's my core problem with IPv6 right now. Rather then solve the one thing that pretty much everyone agrees is a problem....limited address space....it does that and forces you to do 20 other things differently as well. If they had just doubled the number of octets in IPv4 and called it a day...this debate would have been over 5 years ago....and we'd all be sitting on that internet right now.
>

> Christopher Engel

How do you figure that? Changing the size of the address field in the ip
header is very much the *major* issue. It affects everything that
networks up to and including applications (to varying degrees). Your NAT
would still be broken, they're still be no way for the two to "talk"
without dual stacking, etc, etc (ignoring ALGs as that's as hacky as NAT).

The fact that the IETF decided to address some warts in ipv4 at the same
time was a good thing, IMHO.

-lee