[arin-ppml] CGN multiplier was: RE: Input on an article by Geoff Huston (potentially/myopically off-topic addendum)

Chris Engel cengel at conxeo.com
Thu Sep 15 13:16:49 EDT 2011

> > Chris Grundemann wrote:
> > Perhaps you should read this RFC: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6296
>
> We have tried that and many other things 15 years ago and then again 10
> years ago. This is incomplete (only half of the solution). We've had the
> other half for 10 years as well. This just shows how desperate the IETF
> is.
>
> Michel.

Note, that I appreciate Fred & Margaret's efforts with that RFC but it really only covers a small portion of the functionality NAT44 currently provides. In discussions with Fred, he made it abundantly clear to me that what they were intending to cover with that RFC was NOT the sort of functionality I was looking for. I also note that Fred & Margaret have faced pretty vehement opposition to even get that relatively limited implementation through the IETF.

I'll also say that I appreciate Tony Hain's and others efforts with RFC 4864, but it doesn't really cover very well the functionality I'm looking for either.

The fact that people are attempting to come up with alternate solutions to various problems is a wonderful thing and should be applauded. However it only further illustrates what I've been trying to argue. The internet is a very diverse place and trying to impose "one size fits all" solutions upon it's entire user base (if that were even possible) just isn't realistic.  CGN probably is a crappy option for quite a few people. However if a persons internet use is limited to posting to their Facebook account and getting e-mail through G-mail or maybe a POP account from their ISP.....and lets be honest, that describes the extent of current internet usage for a heck of alot of people.... then I really can't see how CGN would have much of an impact on them.

I really think folks are going to have to expect a pretty wide diversity of solutions out in the internet for quite some time. That'll likely include CGN, IPv6, and god knows what else. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't some end user networks out there still running IPX/SPX and doing some sort of gateway to IPv4 on their boundary for internet traffic.

Christopher Engel