[arin-ppml] An article of interest to the community....

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Sep 2 01:16:45 EDT 2011

On Sep 1, 2011, at 7:14 PM, Brett Frankenberger wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 06:38:44PM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> Mike,
>> 	What risk do you see in listing un/under-utilized resources that is
>> not present in merely holding those resources?
>
> Can't say for sure, but I'd guess it's comparable to the risk that
> exists in taking out a full page add in the local newspaper announcing
> "I will drive 80 in the 60 MPH speed zone at milepost X on highway Y at
> XX:XX on XX/XX/2001" that isn't present in driving 80 in a 60 but not
> advertising when and where you will be doing it.

Except that it would be more like doing that after the chief of police and
the commandant of the highway patrol had told you that making such
an announcement in and of itself would not cause them to pursue you.

> If your resources are underutilized, ARIN *could* do a section 12 audit
> and initiate reclamation.  If you don't tell anyone that you are
> underutilized, ARIN won't know, so they only way you'd get hit with an
> audit is if you got really unlucky.  If you tell the world (by putting
> them up for auction), the risks get higher, because ARIN knows (or at
> least has a strong indication) that you are underutilized.

In spite of John's claims to the contrary, I actually believe that ARIN should
begin performing random reviews as time permits and should certainly
be looking for resources that appear to have a pattern of un/under-
utilization.

> ARIN hasn't made a practice of doing that, and I agree with John's
> statement that they aren't likely to start doing that.  But if they
> don't know you are underutilized, your risk is lower than if they do
> know and you're relying on them to nevertheless refrain from an audit.
> In my view, the risk is very low either way.  But it is lower if ARIN
> doesn't have the information, and some companies are going to play it
> safe.

John's statement wasn't that they aren't likely to start doing so. John's
statement was that he did not feel that they should start doing so.
John and I disagree in this area and I think at the end of the day
as scarcity becomes more of an issue, there will be more pressure
from the community to change John's position on this. John answers
to the board. The board answers to the members.

Owen