[arin-ppml] An article of interest to the community....

Brett Frankenberger rbf+arin-ppml at panix.com
Thu Sep 1 22:14:46 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 06:38:44PM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
> Mike,
> 	What risk do you see in listing un/under-utilized resources that is
> not present in merely holding those resources?

Can't say for sure, but I'd guess it's comparable to the risk that
exists in taking out a full page add in the local newspaper announcing
"I will drive 80 in the 60 MPH speed zone at milepost X on highway Y at
XX:XX on XX/XX/2001" that isn't present in driving 80 in a 60 but not
advertising when and where you will be doing it.

If your resources are underutilized, ARIN *could* do a section 12 audit
and initiate reclamation.  If you don't tell anyone that you are
underutilized, ARIN won't know, so they only way you'd get hit with an
audit is if you got really unlucky.  If you tell the world (by putting
them up for auction), the risks get higher, because ARIN knows (or at
least has a strong indication) that you are underutilized.

ARIN hasn't made a practice of doing that, and I agree with John's
statement that they aren't likely to start doing that.  But if they
don't know you are underutilized, your risk is lower than if they do
know and you're relying on them to nevertheless refrain from an audit.
In my view, the risk is very low either way.  But it is lower if ARIN
doesn't have the information, and some companies are going to play it
safe.

     -- Brett