[arin-ppml] An article of interest to the community....

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Thu Sep 1 17:44:42 EDT 2011

On 01-Sep-11 13:53, John Curran wrote:
> On Sep 1, 2011, at 2:13 PM, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
>> That said, so far it appears ARIN has neither done nor intends to do any without-cause reviews.
> We have not conducted any to my knowledge.  In fact, I spent quite a bit of time trying to determine when and why a "without cause" review would make sense, and I was only able to come up with one reason;

I find it interesting that your "quite a bit of time" did not include
asking the person who wrote that text, i.e. me, or reviewing the threads
here on the subject where the reasoning was discussed several
times--including ones I'm pretty sure you participated in--or reviewing
the transcripts of the meetings where it was discussed.

Therefore, I will recap the top reason: to find space that has been
abandoned and is therefore an attractive target for spammers and other
criminals.  We're told ARIN spends a lot of time reacting to hijackings,
but IMHO the community would be better served by being proactive.
Returning such space to the free pool would be a minor side benefit.

Note that I would /not/ recommend doing this at random; it should be
based on indicators of use such as the time since last update,
visibility in the DFZ, or whatever other similarities y'all notice
between the resources involved in past fraud cases.  Go for the
"low-hanging fruit" first and work your way up.

> However, there is no argument that the option to do such reviews is clearly in the section 12 of the NRPM, and one would hope it's kept well-protected from capricious use.

Fears of capricious use of that pre-existing capability in the RSA were
the motivator of NRPM 12: to /limit /the harm that could be done if/when
ARIN decided to use that power in the future--which the community seemed
to desire in general.