[arin-ppml] An article of interest to the community....

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Thu Sep 1 11:41:58 EDT 2011

Hi Kevin,

>I have not looked this up, so forgive me if my memory is faulty, but isn't
>there a grace period in the event of a section 12 review where the user has
>"X" amount of time to appeal and/or prove they are using the address space?

>Wouldn't this grace period be sufficient protection for a "sale"?

I guess it depends on how long a sale takes, which is dependent on pricing,
among other things. There is no language in section 12 which provides
protection for unused addresses involved in a sales transaction, nor in the
RSA.

>I find it hard to believe that ARIN would review and summarily revoke a
>registration without some due process that would give the user time to work
>things out.

I agree that ARIN has shown every intention of not doing this, but the fact
that they have the right to do it gives pause to sellers.
Perversely it is the sellers with large swaths of unused space who have the
most risk in this regard.

>If a user is not utilizing an IP block, and then they find out that they
>cannot sell the block, it seems to me that the block *should* return to the
>common pool.

According to the legal contract which is the RSA they are obliged to do
this.

>I think things are pretty good the way they are.

And how many sales of unused RSA space have occurred? Zero.
(John, feel free to provide the accurate number if it is not in fact zero.)

Regards,

Mike