[arin-ppml] Fee structures for ARIN

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Fri Oct 28 13:46:16 EDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Jack Bates <jbates at brightok.net> wrote:
> I can't complain about the cost differences for enduser/ISP. Just fix IPv6
> which is on it's way to making ARIN a LOT more money, and doing less work in
> exchange.

I don't understand how you could forecast ARIN to generate too much
revenue from IPv6.  It should be uncommon for an organization, ISP or
otherwise, to need more than a handful of IPv6 allocations.  On the
other hand, we all know that IPv4 depletion has been hanging over our
heads since before ARIN was created, thus IPv4 policy has caused all
growing organizations to have to go back to ARIN and request more and
more address space.  Also, I would hope networks will figure out how
to put a lot more customers and services into an IPv6 allocation
within a given size/fee tier than the similarly-priced IPv4
allocations.  If not, they at least have made that choice themselves
and there is every reason to believe they think the fees are worth the
extra address space.

If I thought people would be shutting off their IPv4 anytime soon
because it isn't useful, I would worry about ARIN being able to
generate *enough* revenue given the current fee system.  Perhaps that
is a problem ARIN will have to solve ten years from now, but there
seems to be no danger of IPv4 being deprecated in the predictable
future.

I also do not understand why ISPs that SWIP address space to their
customers create substantially more cost than an end-user who does not
need to SWIP.  I know there are statistics available on the number of
SWIP requests processed automatically vs how many require some kind of
assistance from hostmaster at arin.net.  If ISPs can't figure out how to
get SWIPs handled by automation, creating significant work for the
ARIN staff, then non-automated SWIP requests should have an associated
fee based on how much ARIN thinks it costs to process them.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts