[arin-ppml] Fee structures for ARIN

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Fri Oct 28 11:44:55 EDT 2011

On 10/28/2011 10:26 AM, John Curran wrote:

> I'm referencing a different problem other than balancing the equation.
> Let's say that a /24 increment works out to $10/annual  A legacy holder
> with a /8 would go from paying $0/annually to paying $655,350/annually\
> upon signing the LRSA?
>
> I'm trying to understand implications of Bill's formula approach.

Actually, I think the larger issue, is a /24 will end up being pennies.
ISP's hold huge sums of /24s, so averaging them out means the single /24
end-users will have a bill too small to pay. You would have to set a
base fee, subtract the base fee from ARIN's budget total, then apply the
equation to average out the resource utilization.

So an end-user assignment might pay $base_fee + $0.01 for their /24.

ARIN: 37 /8
Administered by ARIN: 39

So, ARIN has 2,424,832 /24s, double if the 39 administers are LRSA.

Take your budget, subtract ($base fee ($100?) * entities), then divide
by the appropriate /24 number. Something tells me, it is way below $1
per /24. This is a rough estimate based on v4 alone. If the equation
balances properly between v4 and v6 size differentials, then the value
should still be close to the end result.

Jack