[arin-ppml] Fee structures for ARIN

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Oct 28 10:56:37 EDT 2011

On Oct 28, 2011, at 2:35 PM, William Herrin wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 10:03 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> I would also be willing to pay greater fees were those fees calculated
>> something like this:
>>
>> (  # of /24 IPv4 blocks held
>> + # of /48 IPv6 blocks held
>> + # of ASNs held)
>> / total of the same across all ARIN registrants
>> x ARIN's annual budget
>
> I would also support a version of this formula which, for now, omits
> IPv6 from the equation. There's something to be said for progressive
> taxation which encourages healthy behavior by reducing its cost.

Presumably, legacy block holders currently receiving services without
charge would begin paying these fees upon signing the LRSA?  I imagine
a few /8 and /16 address holders might suggest that the services they
require do not cause ARIN expenses even close to the suggested fees?
This becomes even more important if you omit IPv4 from the equation.

Thoughts?
/John

John Curran
President and CEO