[arin-ppml] LRSA v3.0 . MWE revised 8-16-11 (Comment)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Oct 27 15:17:55 EDT 2011

On Oct 27, 2011, at 6:50 PM, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:

> 	Hello All ,
>
> 	Hopefully OPEN Comments will be accepted on this matter as I being a holder of said 'Legacy resources' The FEE Structure is in my opinion still WAY too high .
>
> 	Please provide as an addendum the mathimatical determination that SHOWS that each 'Legacy Holder' will pay a FAIR Share under this structure with those that hold FAR LARGER 'Resources' .
>
> 	My own /24 is by far a better example of the  predominance of the 'Holders' in the present 'Swamp' space .  PLEASE Illucidate those of us with small (ie: ~= /24) 'Resources' why those of us should be paying the same amount for ARIN 'Services' as a 'Holder' with /20 of 'Legacy' Resources ?
>
> 	Imo ,  A /24 holder would be paying ~= $75.00/yr .

JimL -

  Thanks for the feedback.  It will be provided to the ARIN Board
  which is responsible for the determination of fees.

  Note that ARIN's expenses for registry core operations are not
  proportional to address space, per se, but much closer to the
  number of address blocks in the registry (as that drives the
  staff and infrastructure for serving and maintaining the those
  entries)

  Additionally, your ability to participate in ARIN, including
  providing feedback on consultations such as this, and the
  basic overhead of the organization (e.g. running the annual
  elections and holding required meetings) are not costs that
  are necessarily variable based on address space held, and may
  actually be better recovered on a per member/organization basis.

  Obviously, the fees do not need to be directly tied to the costs
  of services, but they are important to keep in mind when setting
  the fees used to recover ARIN's overall costs.  There are many
  different fee schedules that will provide for ARIN to recover
  its costs, and it will ultimately be the Board's decision on
  how this should be structured.

  If you wish to look at the costs of ARIN, I presented last week
  a breakdown by function area during the public Member's meeting
  two weeks back.  You can find the information under "Financial
  Cost Model" at the link below:
<https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/reports/ARIN_XXVIII/mem.html>

Thank you for taking the time to send your suggestion; it is greatly
appreciated!

/John

John Curran
President and CEO