[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1: ARINInter-RIRTransfers - Last Call

Brett Frankenberger rbf+arin-ppml at panix.com
Wed Oct 26 15:05:01 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 05:33:50PM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:

> On Oct 25, 2011, at 5:25 PM, William Herrin wrote:

> >> Can you back up this claim with any form of evidence or fact?
> >
> > "Under the proposed policy text, it does not matter if the other RIRs
> > requirements are more or less strict than ARIN's" -- John Curran,
> > 10/20/2011 explaining ARIN's interpretation of the 2011-1 text.
>
> That is not the same as claiming that other RIRs have a less
> restrictive policy. Can you back that claim up specifically. I do not
> believe it currently holds true.

He didn't make that claim.  He said the policy would "let other regions
set their own, LESS-stringent-than-ARIN rules" for consuming ARIN
addresses.  He didn't say any other region had done so.

Response to David Farmer's request:  Opposed to the policy as written.

(1) It's already been explained in other posts (by me and others) why
the transfer policy effectively allows organizations in other regions
to get ARIN free-pool resources via transfer simply by running those
addresses through an ARIN-region organization that is in a position to
temporarily put the addresses to real use.

(2) William's point above extends #1 to potentially allowing
organizations in other regions access to ARIN's free-pool resources
*under terms less restrictive than the terms under which organizations
in ARIN's region are allowed access to ARIN's free-pool resources*.

I'm not willing to take it on faith that other regions won't
pass less-restrictive policies at some point in the future.

There's likely a limit to how less-restrictive they can be ... a
requirement for, say, 10% utilization within 25 years would probably be
considered "incompatible" with ARIN's rules.  But, say, a policy that
was the same as ARINs in most respects, but which allowed 12 month
supply of addresses, would be meaningfully less restrictive, but would
probably be considered "compatible" with ARIN's policies.

     -- Brett