[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1: ARINInter-RIRTransfers - Last Call

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Oct 25 12:24:35 EDT 2011

On Oct 25, 2011, at 3:35 PM, William Herrin wrote:

> I care about how our region, the ARIN region, manages OUR addresses.

Bill -

 Per RFC 2050, IP address space is allocated to each of the RIRs
 according to its established need.  Referring to such address
 space as OUR addresses (with the implication that it is to be
 used in region due to our imminent need) does make perfect sense.

 However, I also want to note that we collectively departed from
 RFC 2050 with both the final /8 and the cleanup of the various
 registries space.  There was never an application by ARIN to the
 IANA to receive this space, and while it may still be "OUR" space,
 it is not a function of any need from ARIN or the application of
 any special conservation efforts.

 I believe that we should appropriately safeguard the resources
 assigned to this region, but wanted to note that our bounty is
 likely more of circumstance than planning.

 Note - another option (if the community is concerned about ARIN's
 free pool being depleted for future xfers) would be to simply
 disqualify all space issued henceforth from ARIN's available pool
 from future specified transfer until the ARIN has no free space
 remaining.  This is an imperfect control (due to the ability with
 some effort to swap out older assignments) but might be sufficient
 under the circumstances.

FYI,
/John

John Curran