[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1:ARINInter-RIRTransfers - Last Call

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Tue Oct 25 05:00:01 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 1:58 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> Personally, I think ARIN already has a number of tools at its disposal to
>> make gaming the system expensive and uncertain enough to limit abuse.
>
> If you have something in mind that hasn't already been acknowledged or
> debunked, I'd love to hear it.

What do you think about businesses who have operations in both APNIC
and ARIN regions?  They cannot get more IPv4 addresses from APNIC.
They can get them from ARIN.  It is certain that at least some of
these businesses, perhaps many, will simply request addresses from
ARIN and issue them to their customers in AP.

Is this good?  I don't think so, but unless you want ARIN to
aggressively police this kind of thing, it is hard to argue against
legitimizing transfers that have basically the same effect on resource
depletion.

There is already plenty of inter-region IPv4 use for no reason other
than convenience.  I don't find it easy to say that a business with
legitimate operations in both regions should not be allowed to route
their addresses wherever they please, because historically, this has
been going on for a long time.  If you don't want inter-RIR transfers,
I think you should also be in favor of directing ARIN to audit for new
IPv4 allocations being partly or wholly routed outside of the ARIN
region, identify networks doing that, and refuse to give those
networks any more IPv4 space.  Take away their PTR delegations while
you are at it, and develop some long, cumbersome process whereby ARIN
might eventually revoke their space which they will continue to
announce into BGP anyway, because they have no ability to renumber out
of it.

My point is resources are going to be "transferred" outside of the
ARIN region anyway.  Once you realize that, you might consider that
legitimizing such transfers has more benefits than running out of IPv4
earlier.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts