[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1:ARINInter-RIRTransfers - Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Oct 25 01:58:24 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:
>> An example of a failsafe would be  "You can't effect a specified
>> transfer of any part of an allocation received
>> in the past X months,  or an inter-RIR transfer of any part of an
>> allocation received in the past Y months"
>
> I would encourage you (or anyone in the community) to submit a policy
> proposal along these lines.  (I know Owen also had some suggested text.)  If
> we get such a policy proposal moving along through the PDP now, we could
> have it implemented via the normal calendar in about 6 months if there's
> consensus for it.  If significant abuse materializes before then that cannot
> be easily dealt with by ARIN under existing policy, it would also be good to
> have something that we've already discussed and come to rough consensus on.
>  That way the Board could implement a draft policy that has already had
> significant community discussion (rather than creating an ad-hoc remedy or
> suspending 2011-1) if it becomes necessary.

Jimmy, I believe that's what's known as "being an enabler" for someone
engaged in undesirable behavior.

Scott, someone asked earlier in the thread what the rush to do this
now instead of in 6 months is. I'm still waiting for someone to
articulate a satisfactory answer. I don't care why it's important to
APNIC registrants, I want to know why it's important to ARIN
registrants that we do this right now.

Even if there is a good reason to rush, the conservative course of
action would be to advance 2011-1 after restoring the stronger
protections that were in the earlier text and then spend the next 6
months talking about how to tone them down to something less onerous.
That would avoid any chance of the board needing to take emergency
action and, oh by the way, it's what cautious stewardship of a
resource is all about.

> Personally, I think ARIN already has a number of tools at its disposal to
> make gaming the system expensive and uncertain enough to limit abuse.

If you have something in mind that hasn't already been acknowledged or
debunked, I'd love to hear it.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004