[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1:ARINInter-RIRTransfers- Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Oct 25 01:31:58 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Mike Burns <mike at nationwideinc.com> wrote:
>> Do we really want to lock unused or underused addresses out of play
>> for folks who DO meet ARIN's needs-justification when the whole point
>> of transfers is that we don't have enough addresses to go around?
>
> At the maximum, we would be locking out of the market just a year's worth of
> new allocations for a timeframe of  one year, with all prohibition dropped
> at exhaust plus a year.

Hi Mike,

Not exactly. We'd be locking out -registrants-, not specific
registrations. No real point in locking out only the most recent
registration if you can register new addresses and then sell your old
ones.

I don't have the exact numbers, but something like the top ten ARIN
registrants hold about half the space. And those same top ten are very
likely to be the ones who take the last few addresses in ARIN's free
pool. So, you're talking about locking up half the address space for a
year as we face a critical shortage.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004