[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1:ARINInter-RIRTransfers- Last Call

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Mon Oct 24 19:43:02 EDT 2011

Hi Bill,

>As many as you want until the Board adopts a policy which declares
defines such use illegitimate. If the policy says it isn't fraud then
it isn't fraud no matter how egregious. ARIN simply isn't allowed to
make it up as they go; they're bound by the policies. One problem with
2011-1 as presently drafted is that it takes some dubious activities
that current policy defines as "not fraud" and creates an only
moderately circuitous path to easy cash.

I would consider adding some language in the Declarations section 10b of the
RSA stating that the applicant has an *intention* to use the addresses for
the purposes stated in the application.  The officer attestation should also
include this language.  Then, in the event that this abuse manifests itself,
ARIN would have some ability to declare the contract fraudulent despite
whether the allocation/transfer behavior conformed to policy.  If a pattern
of allocation/transfer occurs, even within policy, ARIN can point to the
activity as incompatible with the declared intention and recover under
Section 12. I mean, it could happen that the wifi system legitimately fails,
as most municipal wifi systems have. But if the same owner or officer tries
again it would be easier to demonstrate bad intentions and contract fraud.
But I'm no lawyer and perhaps such a declaration was left out for a valid
reason.

>Do we really want to lock unused or underused addresses out of play
for folks who DO meet ARIN's needs-justification when the whole point
of transfers is that we don't have enough addresses to go around?

At the maximum, we would be locking out of the market just a year's worth of
new allocations for a timeframe of  one year, with all prohibition dropped
at exhaust plus a year.
 I don't think it's fair to get addresses from the free pool for the
purposes of profiting through their sale, and I'm sure you don't either. The
one year prohibition on sales serves to discincentivize the pillaging of the
free pool for profit, and incentivizes efficient use of existing space for
those who would otherwise choose to avail themselves of the free pool . In
other words, if I could free up space instead of acquiring more from the
pool, I would reserve my right to sell addresses at any time. For those who
acted legitimately and acquired addresses from the free pool which quickly
became unneeeded, their penalty would be waiting for just the balance of a
year before they could sell, and they would probably be well-rewarded
anyway, in the end.

Regards,
Mike