[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1:ARINInter-RIRTransfers - Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Oct 24 18:57:29 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Mike Burns <mike at nationwideinc.com> wrote:
> How many times could you rinse/repeat this cycle before the activity became
> so evident that ARIN refused to authorize the transfer, and instead
> attempted reclamation due to fraud?

Hi Mike,

As many as you want until the Board adopts a policy which declares
defines such use illegitimate. If the policy says it isn't fraud then
it isn't fraud no matter how egregious. ARIN simply isn't allowed to
make it up as they go; they're bound by the policies. One problem with
2011-1 as presently drafted is that it takes some dubious activities
that current policy defines as "not fraud" and creates an only
moderately circuitous path to easy cash.

> I agree that protections against fraud in obtaining addresses from the free
> pool will become increasingly important, and if there was some work in the
> past related to detecting related-legal-entities, it would be prudent to
> revisit that subject.

I'll take counterpoint: protections will become unimportant relatively
quickly because we're nearly out of addresses in the ARIN free pool
too. Nevertheless, we need some protections _until_ events render
matter moot.

> Bill, what would you think about preventing those who receive addresses from
> the free pool from selling addresses for some timeframe commencing at the
> time of their last allocation?

Do we really want to lock unused or underused addresses out of play
for folks who DO meet ARIN's needs-justification when the whole point
of transfers is that we don't have enough addresses to go around?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004