[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Last Call

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 21:29:54 EDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 8:20 PM, Bill Darte <BillD at cait.wustl.edu> wrote:

> Please be specific when you speak of over-controlling policy related to v4
> transfers...which is stifling transition.  If you have more than base-less

I am also curious about this point...   what over-controlling v4
transfer policy?

If anything, I would say the current transfer policies lack  even
sufficient controls.
The transfer policy currently is very liberal, as long as the transfer recipient
can meet the baseline simple needs-based justification,

which is even more liberal than the current needs justification required for
a fresh allocation.

In what way might the 8.2/8.3 policies as they stand be too liberal?
The way they've been interpreted, to allow a transfer recipient to receive
less addresses than they need and effect multiple transfers,   resulting in
a transfer recipient getting multiple non-aggregable blocks transferred to
them,   so  they can only route their  "needed (but divided)" addresses
by polluting the routing tables, as in,   generating multiple and potentially
excessive numbers of routing table entries for the same network,  due to
getting say the /16 they need,  as   256   discrete non-aggregable /24s....

--
-JH