[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Last Call

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Oct 20 17:35:16 EDT 2011

On 10/19/11 21:54 CDT, Kevin Blumberg wrote:
> I will endeavor to be helpful but I also share the concern about the
> significant changes in the draft policy from the meeting and what was
> brought to last call.

Thank you.

> I see that "entities agreeing to the transfer and which otherwise
> meet both RIR's policies." was removed, which I considered to be a
> bi-lateral justification. That shifted the onus to "share compatible,
> needs based policies".

In my opinion that text created confusion that we wanted to require both
RIR's criteria for justified need to be satisfied by the organization
that is receiving the resources.  Rather than the source organization
meeting the requirements of it RIR and the receiving organization
meeting the requirements of it RIR.  Even if you believe the text meant
that both policies were to apply, on both ends, I don't believe that how
ARIN staff said they would implement that language.

By replacing that with  "IPv4 address resources may be transferred to
organizations in another RIR's service region if they demonstrate need
to their region's RIR, according to that RIR's policies."  we make it
clear that the recipient justifies their need to their RIR using that
RIR's policies.  I believe this is in line with how ARIN staff said they
would implement the language anyway.

I believe It is impractical to have either RIR evaluate based on both
policies, it is equally impractical to have each RIR evaluate both
organizations based on there separate policies.  The only reasonable
option it to have the source organization evaluated based on their RIR's
policies and the receiving organization evaluated based on their RIR's
policies.

> If that is the case I don't believe that
> "compatible" is strong enough and in my mind is way to ambiguous. It
> also removes any of the other provisions of the NRPM which might be
> required if abuse of the policy is found.

However, we are also saying that the other RIR must have a compatible
needs based policy, and yes that is still a little ambiguous.  However,
by stating that the receiving organization must  "demonstrate need to
their region's RIR, according to that RIR's policies", "compatible" now
has much more meaning and context that it didn't have before.

The other RIR must have a needs based policy compatible with the concept
of receiving organization demonstrating its need to the RIR, and that
RIR evaluating it.  So, if the other RIR didn't require any kind of
demonstrated need, or there were no criteria to evaluate against, it
therefore wouldn't be a compatible policy.  So while some ambiguity
remains, and probably needs to in order to allow for some room for staff
to do the right thing, there is now a fundamental basis for determining
what a compatible needs based policy should be.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952