[arin-ppml] 2011-1 dissent Was: Re: ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Last Call

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Oct 20 07:59:45 EDT 2011

On Oct 19, 2011, at 10:32 PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:

> Bill,
>
> I agree with you, the process has failed at least from an integrity
> perspective.  The last call text presented in this thread should not
> be allowed to propagate under the cover of community blessing.

Marty -

  The ARIN AC is fully empowered to develop policy text on
  behalf of the community based on its best understanding.

  The Policy Development Process specifies that the ARIN AC
  determines whether a draft policy has the support of the
  community.  There is a requirement to present the draft
  policy text at the Public Policy meeting, but no requirement
  for a vote to be taken on specific text. Any discussion
  and/or votes taken at the at the meeting done are for the
  consideration of the Advisory Council in doing its policy
  development work.

  If the text has been changed from what is presented at the
  Public Policy Meeting, then it _must_ be sent for last call
  to obtain community feedback on the revised proposed text.
  That is the integrity check in the process, and the community
  has an important obligation to provide feedback during last
  call regarding any and all aspects of the draft policy that
  they feel needs to be changed.  If the community doesn't
  provide any feedback on necessary changes during last call,
  then that definitely qualifies as validation of community
  support.  If there is a change to the policy text as a result
  of the last call feedback, the policy may go to another last
  call or be put back on docket for further development.

  Ultimately, the Board of Trustees will be the judge of the
  process by which the policy was developed, if the policy is
  recommended for adopted.  At this time, Draft policy 2011-1's
  development is fully in keeping the Policy Development Process,
  and what is lacking is last call feedback to the AC regarding
  any aspects of the revised policy text that needs to be changed.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO