[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Last Call

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Oct 19 21:12:31 EDT 2011

On 10/19/11 19:28 CDT, William Herrin wrote:
> If a draft can, among other things, switch from adding text for a new
> situation to the NRPM to rewriting and changing the meaning of
> existing text in the NRPM then what's the point of having a PDP
> section 2 and 3 at all? Let's just discuss ideas and then start all
> the drafts at last call.

There has never been anything explicitly stated about this being a
separate section of the NRPM,  Almost all of the discussion I find is in
a context of 8.3 transfers, there was one mention of including IPv6, but
it didn't get much traction that I see.  Further, there was a fairly
long thread in May with the subject "Integrating Draft Policy
ARIN-2011-1 into NRPM 8.3" and back at San Juan Bill's slides had much
the same context.

https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/reports/ARIN_XXVII/PDF/Monday/darte_prop2011_1.pdf

The idea that this would not be integrated into 8.3 in one way or
another is not supported by what I could find in the discussion anywhere.

I'll admit, we are making non-trivial changes to the text, we said that,
that is why we did an Extended Last-Call.  But I believe it is what the
community was asking us to do.

Finally, if the consensus of the community in last-call is to take it
back to another PPM, I'm fine with that too.  However, that is not the
sense of the room I took out of Philly.

I would really appreciate a clear consensus from the community on this
one.  What do you want us to do?  Please comment, even if it is simply
you support or not the text as written.

Thanks

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952