[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Last Call

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Oct 19 18:37:59 EDT 2011

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 19, 2011, at 10:33 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>>> Am I the only one who doesn't think that transfers between ARIN
>>> registrants and transfers between RIR's should be mashed into the same
>>> policy subsection?
>>
>> They aren't. There is nothing about transfers between RIR's here other than the role the RIRs play in transfers between registrants in different RIR's service regions.
>
> I don't think in-region transfers between two ARIN registrants and
> out-region transfers between an ARIN registrant and a non-ARIN
> registrant belong in the same subsection. I think mashing them
> together in one section clutters and confuses the issues for both.
>
> Would you like me to find another few ways to restate my objection, or
> are you tracking now despite any other possible ways to interpret the
> words?

Ah, OK... sorry, I misread your original message. My bad.
Yes, I'm tracking now. I understand your objection. I don't agree with
it in this case and think that maintaining parallel and separate policies
proved to be a distinct form of rat hole in multiple attempts.

>>> Besides, doesn't this language prevent inter-region address transfer
>>> due to mergers or acquisitions? If I want to buy a web hosting shop
>>> and move it off shore, why should I be denied?
>>>
>> There remain all the same options that have always existed under section 8.2 for such actions.
>
> Which are?

I will happily discuss this with you in another thread or off-list, but, they really
aren't germane to the current topic and I don't want to hijack the thread down
that particular rat-hole.

> 2011-1 as published 9/22/11 applied equally to 8.2 and 8.3 transfers.
>

> I also object to the end-run around the PDP. The AC is not empowered
> to insert a proposal directly to Last Call and this proposal is (at
> best) the "same idea" as proposal 2011-1. Structurally, it's a whole
> new proposal which should go through the normal draft and discussion
> process. Should the board feel action is urgent, they alone hold the
> authority to jump that process.

Bill, with all due respect, this is the same idea as 2011-1 and in fact largely the same policy. The AC is empowered to amend draft policies based on community feedback and send the result to last call. That is what happened in this case. There was significant community feedback at the meeting and the majority of the AC felt that this policy incorporated the original stated intent of the draft policy as well as the feedback received from the community on the mailing list and at the PPM.

Owen