[arin-ppml] ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers - Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Oct 19 18:13:42 EDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 1:33 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> I also object to the end-run around the PDP. The AC is not empowered
>> to insert a proposal directly to Last Call and this proposal is (at
>> best) the "same idea" as proposal 2011-1. Structurally, it's a whole
>> new proposal which should go through the normal draft and discussion
>> process. Should the board feel action is urgent, they alone hold the
>> authority to jump that process.
>
> Objection noted.  I would argue that there was a consensus at the PPM in
> Philadelphia for the AC to make revisions to 2011-1 to address the concerns
> discussed at the meeting, and there was an overwhelming consensus in favor
> of inter-regional transfers.

Hi Scott,

I have no reason to disagree with your assessment either of the
consensus to revise draft 2011-1 or the consensus in favor of the IDEA
of inter-region transfers. However:

> Policy statement:
>
> Address resources may be transferred in or out of the ARIN region to
> those who demonstrate need and plan to deploy them for a networking
> purpose within 3 months. Such transfers will take place between RIRs who
> share compatible, needs-based policies supporting entities agreeing to
> the transfer and which otherwise meet both RIR's policies. Transferred
> resources will become part of the resource holdings of the recipient RIR
> unless otherwise agreed by both RIRs.

>Policy statement:
>
>[Strike NRPM section 8.3 and replace with]
>8.3 Transfers to Specified Recipients
>
>In addition to transfers under section 8.2, IPv4 number resources may be
>released to ARIN by the authorized resource holder or another RIR, in
>whole or in part, for transfer to another specified organizational
>recipient.  Organizations in the ARIN region may receive transferred
>number resources under RSA if they can demonstrate the need for such
>resources in the amount which they can justify under current ARIN policies.
>
>IPv4 address resources may be transferred to organizations in another
>RIR's service region if they demonstrate need to their region's RIR,
>according to that RIR's policies. Inter-regional transfers may take
>place only via RIRs who agree to the transfer and share compatible,
>needs-based policies. Such resources must be transferred in blocks of
>/24 or larger and will become part of the resource holdings of the
>recipient RIR.

This is not a revised "draft policy." It's a whole new draft policy
based on similar ideas. Read them side by side; the difference is so
blatant it defies description.

The PDP requires development, discussion and consensus on DRAFT POLICY
before last call. Not development, discussion and consensus on IDEAS
that may become draft policy.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004