[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-151 Limiting needs requirements for IPv4transfers

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Nov 23 15:42:50 EST 2011

On 11/23/11 12:12 CST, Mike Burns wrote:
> Hi Owen, responses inline.
>
>>> Second, it caps needs-free transfers at the size of a /12, which Owen
>>> helpfully points out is just 1/4096th of unicast space. With a cap
>>> like this in place, cornering the market is not feasible and total
>>> potential profits are limited, making this kind of speculation
>>> unsound because the high risk of speculating in this market can not
>>> be outweighed by oversized returns.
>
>> Capping needs-free transfers at a /12 is absurd. That's virtually
>> equivalent to no cap whatsoever. If you want me to consider the
>> needs-free cap meaningful, then, move it to some more rational place
>> like a /22. At /22, I'd still think this was a bad idea, but
>> significantly less damaging than the current proposal would be.
>
> I am open to reviewing that number, I don’t really think there will be
> many large transfers to those who cannot justify them. The number was
> initially suggested by David Farmer and I don't think it absurd, rather
> a good middle which would limit market cornering while allowing most
> transfers to flow smoothly into Whois.

There is no magic in /12 it was just a starting point for a
conversation.  A /8 seemed way to big to be allowed to be transferred
without justification, and a /16 seemed to not allow enough additional
freedom in the market to make such a change worth the effort. The
midpoint of these two was /12, additionally it approximates 1 Million
addresses, a nice round number.  I think /12, /13 or /14 all seem like
reasonable options to me.  I think a /22 is way to small to bother
eliminating need basis and wouldn't do much to allow the market
additional room to work.

Thanks
David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952